South Australia’s premier half marathon, 10K & 5K event with a stunning course taking in sections of scrub, wetlands, beach, esplanade & quiet back roads around Aldinga Bay. Our events are open to runners & walkers alike.
Participant experience is our priority and we pride ourselves on providing a quality event, outstanding atmosphere and exceptional value.
Come to enjoy the beaches and stunning coastlines of the Fleurieu Peninsula and sample the hospitality of the McLaren Vale region where you’ll find some of the best wines, produce and microbreweries in Australia.
Sunday 16th May
|8:30 am||Half Marathon – 1st Wave Start|
|10:00 am||10K Race – 1st Wave Start|
|11:00 am||5K Race – 1st Wave Start|
|12:00 pm||All Courses Close|
Arrange to car-pool if possible to minimize the environmental impact and disruption to the local community and plan to arrive early enough to walk to the race start.
Toilets can be found on the run course at Sellicks Boat Ramp, Aldinga Bay Surf Life Saving Club, Snapper Point and Aldinga Boat Ramp.
Race Bibs / Electronic Timing
Electronic transponder timing services will be provided by Event Strategies to ensure accurate and quick publishing of race results.
- You will be allocated a race number bib and it has an electronic timing tag on the back linked to you and the race you have entered.
- Before you start you must notify Timing Officials if any of your entry information needs changing e.g. you are changing race distance.
- Do not use someone else’s number bib as this will produce false results for everyone.
- Attach the bib at waist height to the outside front of whatever top you will be wearing. Do not bend or fold the tag or tamper with it.
- Your time and number will be recorded when you pass a timing point provided your race number bib is visible. Covering it with clothing or your hands as you operate a watch will prevent it recording.
- Ensure you start at the correct time for your race distance.
- Race bibs are your keepsake of the Great Southern & do not need to be returned.
- If you cut the course short (for example by skipping a lap, or taking a shortcut), do not pass through the finish timing point as we may inadvertently think you have won the race. Please notify Timing Officials if this occurs.
- If you lose your race number bib during the race you must notify Timing Officials as soon as you cross the finish timing point.
- Please notify Timing Officials if you pull out of your race before finishing
PROPERTY IS LEFT IN THE BAG DROP AREA AT OWNER’S RISK.
We encourage you to car share where possible to minimize the environmental impact and disruption to the local community.
We have had to gain special permission from the Department for Natural Resources to run through the Aldinga Scrub Conservation Park. One of the conditions of use is that all runners must disinfect their shoes in the disinfectant footbaths at the start area to prevent the spread of phytophthora.
IT IS MANDATORY THAT YOU USE THE DISINFECTANT FOOTBATHS BEFORE RACE START.
We have a zero-tolerance policy to littering. If you are consuming gels or energy bars on the course, please stuff the wrappers in your pocket or in a bin when you pass one. Any runner who is seen littering on course will be reported to the race director and disqualified. You will be running through a beautiful part of the Fleurieu coastline and Aldinga Scrub Conservation Park – let’s keep it that way!
LITTERING ON COURSE WILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION.
We use compostable cups made from plant-based materials during the event to minimize our impact on the environment. Runners may also carry their own drink bottle or cup to refill at water stations.
First Aid Procedures
In case of emergency the race director can be contacted on 0415 883 117 during the race. Please save this number in your phone if you will be carrying it with you.
Sections of the half marathon and 10K courses will be run on paths that are open to the public and unners do not have automatic right of way. Please keep to the left of shared paths and pass other pedestrians/dog walkers with care.
As some sections of the Great Southern Run Fest courses are off road, participants must be careful of sandy, rocky or slippery surface conditions under foot.
Wearing of headphones is discouraged. Enjoy the serenity of the course, the birdsong of the Aldinga Scrub Conservation Park,the crashing of waves on Silver Sands beach or conversation with your fellow competitors. If you do choose to wear them, please have your music at a low volume or use just one earpiece so that you can still hear traffic and safety instructions from our course marshals.
If you are unable to complete the course for any reason, please notify the nearest marshal so that we can account for all starters/finishers and report to the timing van near the end of the finish chute. DO NOT CROSS OVER THE TIMING MAT.
Family, Friends & Supporters
- DO NOT cycle, drive, or run beside a competitor on any part of the course. If you do, they may be disqualified.
- DO encourage and cheer on all competitors – not everyone is lucky enough to have family and friends around, and you can help give runners a real boost.
- DO make sure you keep yourselves hydrated and well‐nourished – supporting can be exhausting! Refreshments are available at the Surf Life Saving Club throughout the morning.
- DO feel free to head out on the course to cheer on your runners at different points.
- DO look around the stalls at the race expo, but you’re only allowed a massage if you actually run!
- DO take your kids to the play park, but don’t wear them out if they have the kids race coming up ????
Provisional results will be published on the afternoon of the race. Any timing discrepancies should be notified to Event Strategies by email immediately.
A link to a brief online survey will be sent to participants after the race. Please take 5 minutes to let us know what you thought of the Great Southern Half Marathon. We want to know what you enjoyed and any suggestions about what we can do better next time so that we can keep on improving our events for you.
And if you enjoyed the race feel free to sing our praises on your social media, give us a 5 star rating on our Facebook page, and bring all your mates along to run next year!